I write Twitter-sized reviews. On occasion I write a longer review, but always doing this kills my joy. As the mood strikes I re-watch movies with no review to backfill. My longer reviews are often a stream of conscious with viewing. IMO if a review is good, then the movie is good. If the review is bad, then you have to make up your own mind.
My reviews are my own reactions and not a comment on the hard work the writers, actors, directors, gaffers, etc. put in to create these movies for us all.
I rate movies out of 5. Only IMDb ratings are out of 10. My lower bound is -1, reserved for the most vile garbage ever put on film. Eventually I decided that a 3 rating is not useful for anyone, so I force myself to pick a side.
Here are my loose rating guidelines...
- 5 = A
- 4 = B
- 3 = C, Avoid as no use to anyone.
- 2 = D
- 1 = F, I am offended at this creation, but I made it through somehow.
- 0, Wasteful
- -1, Painful or sickening
- +1 for historical or ethical importance
- No half stars
I post a review on Twitter daily.
I take requests, but I make no promises on the timeliness of the review.
I hope to introduce you to a movie you have never heard of or never considered.
I have rated 2,166 movies and 2 edibles. I have written 1,397 reviews.
Here is the rating breakdown...
- 177 (8.2%) 5 star (average length = 409 characters)
- 950 (43.9%) 4 star (average length = 212 characters)
- 310 (14.3%) 3 star (average length = 173 characters)
- 483 (22.3%) 2 star (average length = 286 characters)
- 205 (9.5%) 1 star (average length = 436 characters)
- 20 (0.9%) 0 star (average length = 536 characters)
- 3 (0.1%) -1 star (average length = 170 characters)